Preparing for Agile Coach Camp in STL – October 14/15/16, 2016 (as of 10/3/2016)
When we set out to host Agile Coach Camp in St. Louis, MO – we didn’t know what to expect. We look forwarding to welcoming 50+ attendees from across the US (East Coast, West Coast, South & Midwest) to participate in Coach Camp in St. Louis. While we expect a few more last minute Midwest & St. Louis registrations just before the event, the majority of the people attending are not local to the St. Louis metro area. Thanks for investing the time and effort to visit and hopefully you will have a bit of fun while you are here. As Agile Coach Camp is facilitated as an open space “whoever attends are the right people” and “whatever happens is the best thing that could of”, so we look forward to creating an environment where all can share and learn from each other.
While coach camp is quickly approaching – registration is still open for both the 3-day games day + coach camp (Fri/Sat/Sun) & the 2-day coach camp (Sat/Sun). Encourage your colleagues and/or co-workers to join you for a great learning experience. Those interested can register online at www.stlagileopenspace.com. Several nearby hotels still have rooms available – hotel info is on the website at www.stlagileopenspace.com.
Marketplace & Themes
A unique theme will be used for Games Day and Coach Camp – these themes are offered to provide a context to which topics, activities and/or questions can be offered via the Marketplace at each event. A topic offered in the market place could be something as simple as a topic or question to discuss with others, you could gather a group to create something (build a game), or participants are welcome to offer any prior presentations, workshops or games related to the themes.
- Our theme for Games Day on Friday 10/14/2016 is: “Collaborative practices and games to help people learn, innovate, and work together better”.
- Our theme for Coach Camp on Saturday & Sunday 10/15/2016 & 10/16/2016 is: “Improving agile coaching to benefit people, teams and organizations”.
Matt Carlson, who helps to organize the St. Louis Limited WIP Society (Lean Kanban STL), has offered to serve as our open space facilitator for Coach Camp. Matt has helped to organize many Lean Kanban STL events, including facilitating collaborative activities such as Constellations, and is a past presenter at the Lean Kanban North America conference. Matt has helped to introduce lean and agile principles to software development in academia at Washington University in St. Louis. Throughout the event, there will be opportunities to contribute to the Open Space facilitation, so Matt may seek out a few volunteers to help with specific activities and/or if you have any idea to share, please voice it and more than likely we will be able to incorporate it into the event.
Venue & Arrival
- Games Day & Agile Coach Camp will be held at “The Innovation Conference Center at T-REX” – the venue is located at 911 Washington Ave, St. Louis, MO 63101 on the 5th floor – once you enter the building, take the elevators to the 5th floor and then follow the signs.
- Please plan to arrive between 8 AM and 8:30 AM each morning – if you arrive early, the building may not be open before 8 AM.
- For those driving, nearby parking is available in surface lots for a daily fee – the nearest recommended parking is located off Lucas Ave to the immediate north of the building.
Featured Event – Saturday Afternoon Drum Circle
On Saturday afternoon, October 15, 2016, we are going to recreate a featured experience for team and community building that was offered at the inaugural PlayForAgile North America conference in 2015. From 4 PM – 6 PM, those interested (including up to everyone attending Coach Camp) can conclude their day by participating in a community drum circle. In this experience, you will learn how drumming can bring groups together and even has linkages to Edward Deming’s work to improve quality by establishing unity of effort and focus. We will have plenty of drums and other instruments for everyone to participate (no prior drumming experience is needed) – the venue has a variety of separate spaces if there are groups that wish to forgo participation in the drum circle.
- Morning Lean Coffee at 8:30 AM – To accelerate meeting and connecting with others, we will begin each day with a 1 hour Lean Coffee session from 8:30 AM until 9:30 AM – coffee & continental breakfast will be available. We will also provide agile coffee cards and other conversations starters to allow groups to quickly gather for morning conversation – of course, you can bring your own lean coffee topics as well – try to sit / converse with new people daily.
- Opening Circle & Marketplace at 9:30 AM – We will begin each day with an opening activity, then morning circle, and then open the marketplace of ideas.
- Sessions will run throughout the day
- Lunch will be served at 12:00 PM each day.
End of Day Activities
- Friday, October 14, 2016 – Games Day will conclude with a closing circle starting at 4 PM – following the circle, an evening reception with food & drink will be held from 5:30 PM until 7:30 PM – the reception is within walking distance of the venue.
- Saturday, October 15, 2016 – The first day of Coach Camp will conclude with the Drum Circle from 4 PM until 6 PM – following the drum circle, an evening reception with food & drink will beheld from 6 PM until 8 PM – the reception is within walking distance of the venue.
- Sunday, October 16, 2016 – We will hold final sessions during the morning – lunch will be served at 12 PM, then we will hold a final closing circle between 1 PM and 2 PM.
Late Evening Activities (self organized)
Following the open space sessions during the day and evening receptions, a few other activities to consider while staying / visiting downtown St. Louis:
- Consider visiting “The City Museum” – The City Museum is an Art Noveau museum located a few blocks from the venue in downtown St. Louis with a 10 story cave sculpture you can climb through and then descend down a 10-story spiral slide – open until Midnight each evening – http://www.citymuseum.org/
- Escape Room Anyone – Team up with your new friends from Coach Camp and conquer an Escape room – there are two of them within walking distance of the venue and hotels – various rooms & times are available through the late evening hours – http://stlouis.escapetheroom.com/ or http://mastermindroomescape.com/
- Visit the Games Suite – for those staying downtown, we’re going to host a games suite until ~12 AM each evening in the Embassy Suites hotel (details announced at coach camp) – bring your favorite game to play, or join us to socialize and play the games the others bring to share.